βάζω κάποιον στο μάτι = have it in for someone, target someone

A 40yr old Athenian went to his country love nest (ερωτικό κρησφύγετο) & had constantly to take precautions because he had noticed his mother-in-law behaving suspiciously που τον είχε βάλει στο μάτι/κι ήθελε να τον συλλάβει απ' αυτοφώρω με την ερωμένη του [can a wife be called this??], για να μπορέσει να πείσει την κόρη της να τον χωρίσει.
Does τον έχει βάλει στο μάτι mean here 'had kept her eye on him' not 'put the evil eye on him', as the note suggests?!
At the end of the passage we learn that she had hired a private detective. The son-in-law managed to find out all the details of this detective & track him down to his office. Ήρθε σε επαφή μαζί του και κατάφερε να τον κάνει δικό του άνθρωπο (Does it mean managed to bring him over to his side?). In this way he eliminated the danger of being caught & fearlessly went back to his love nest.
Are these translations correct?:confused:

Sorry. I missed the point-ερωμένη is his mistress. No wonder the mother-in-law was suspicious. I still need confirmation of what the two sentences mean. Can κατάφερνε να τον κάνει δικό του άνθρωπο suggest bribery also?:blush::confused:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Does τον έχει βάλει στο μάτι mean here 'had kept her eye on him' not 'put the evil eye on him', as the note suggests?!

None of the two: βάζω κπ. στο μάτι, επιθυμώ να τον βλάψω. Retaining the eye imagery, "keep an eye on him" may be rendered as "δεν τον άφηνε απ' τα μάτια της" (did not let him out of her sight) while "to put the evil eye on someone" is ματιάζω.

... Ήρθε σε επαφή μαζί του και κατάφερε να τον κάνει δικό του άνθρωπο (Does it mean managed to bring him over to his side?)

Exactly (they'd see eye to eye from then on :-)). As for bribery, that's not improbable for a private eye; although the phrase does not necessarily imply it [ένας δικός μου, σου κτλ. άνθρωπος, για πρόσωπο συγγενικό, αγαπητό ή έμπιστο], the context might, and the reader might infer it.

Private Eye - Alkaline Trio

Target someone is apt, because βάζω κάποιον το μάτι can also be positive in the sense of επιθυμώ να τον αποκτήσω, like with an object (βάζω κάτι στο μάτι). For instance, a football manager may say έχω βάλει στο μάτι a player meaning that he wants him for his team.

As usual, thanks for all contributions. Daeman, the punster, in his contribution like Argus has many 'eyes'! Despite all these difficulties, I am making good progress with all the A level excerpts in this textbook--but without lexilogia I would have given up by now. Many thanks.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Target someone is apt, because βάζω κάποιον το μάτι can also be positive in the sense of επιθυμώ να τον αποκτήσω, like with an object (βάζω κάτι στο μάτι). For instance, a football manager may say έχω βάλει στο μάτι a player meaning that he wants him for his team.

have (one's) eye on

1. To look at, especially attentively or continuously, to watch someone carefully.

'I've had my eye on her for some time, and I believe she is the best person for the job.'

2. To have as one's objective.

I've got my eye on a really nice sofa.
The museum had its eye on the painting for many years, hoping its owner would sell it some day.

Dimples - John Lee Hooker

I like to see you switch
You're my baby, I got my eyes on you