Γ. Ιωάννου

This passage by Giorgos Ioannou lists, reminiscent of 'Brave New World', the exaggerated advantages of developed countries. The last two points he makes are these:

5. Οι κάτοικοι σέβονται ή φοβούνται τις διατάξεις περί κυκλοφορίας και [sic] ησυχίας ( keeping the peace?).
6. Η αστυνομία κάνει με ακρίβεια και
[sic] άτεγκτο τρόπο τη δουλειά της.
Συμβαίνει τίποτε απ' όλα αυτά σε μας; Όχι! Τίποτε απολύτως. Κι αν δεν έχουμε παραφρονήσει ή πεθαίνει οφείλεται στο ότι ο ανθρώπινος οργανισμός είναι πιο αντεχερός
(resilient, perhaps in this context) από όσο πιστεύεται.

Is he a satirical writer, sceptical of the advantages of mechanised societies? Is his prose style considered good? Are my two translations adequate or wrong? :blush:

I can only answer on your language points.
With regard to 5, i am reminded of the regulated periods during which noisy activity is (was?) not permitted'. i am no longer regularly in Athens to know if this still applies, though.

"Καθορίζονται οι ώρες κοινής ησυχίας κατά την θερινή (από την 1 Απριλίου έως την 30 Σεπτεμβρίου) και χειμερινή (από την 1 Οκτωβρίου έως την 31 Μαρτίου) περίοδο

Αριθ. 1023/2/37-ια. ΑΣΤΥΝΟΜΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΤΑΞΗ ΥΠ ΑΡΙΘ. 3 – ΦΕΚ B 15 – 12.01.1996

Μέτρα για την τήρηση της κοινής ησυχίας

Ο ΑΡΧΗΓΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗΣ ΑΣΤΥΝΟΜΙΑΣ

αποφασίζουμε:

Άρθρο 1
Ώρες μεσημβρινής και νυκτερινής ησυχίας – Απαγορεύσεις

1. Οι ώρες της μεσημβρινής και νυκτερινής ησυχίας καθορίζονται ως εξής:

α. Κατά τη θερινή περίοδο από 15.00 έως 17.30 και από 23.00 έως 07.00

β. Κατά τη χειμερινή περίοδο από 15.30 έως 17.30 και από 22.00 έως 07.30"

With regard to 5 and 6, I am not sure what your sics refer to. Is it that the prepositions are not repeated before the second element of the phrase? They both feel ok to me [disclaimer: I am not a native speaker]. "The inhabitants either respect or live in fear of the regulations about noisy traffic during statutory quiet hours" is a possible interpretation for 5. For 6, "The police do their jobs with faultless precision" I think is the flavour. Do we have a case of two hendiadyses?:) (hendiades?!)

I like your 'with faultless precision' & the comments about 'traffic quiet times' make much more sense than my 'keeping the peace'. The sic merely points out the fact that before a vowel, I have been led to understand that και before vowels changes to κι but perhaps that is only in spoken Greek or when too many κι's follow each or one another. The accepted plural of hendiadys is, as you say, hendiadyses. It is however a bit of a mouthful! I would write 'examples of hendiadys'. It's hard to form a Greek plural, since the term is Medieval Latin, from Ancient Greek ἑν ‎+ διά ‎+ δυοίν ‎(duoín, “two”). Thanks, Philip,as ever.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... The sic merely points out the fact that before a vowel, I have been led to understand that και before vowels changes to κι but perhaps that is only in spoken Greek ...

In spoken Greek, as you correctly put it, Theseus, and in writing when recording or simulating that. Otherwise, particularly in formal texts, a "κι" would be frowned upon by most people. Not so in literature, of course.

Αντεχερός is indeed most probably meant as resilient or tough and sturdy in this case:

αντεχερός, -ή, -ό sturdy, strong, vigorous: θα τρυπούσε το στομάχι και του πιο αντεχερού γορίλλα (Tsirkas)
[fr *αντοχερός, der of αντοχή w. suff -ερός w. interference of αντέχω]

Thanks, again, 'Man. When I'm dried up, a malt whisky helps. Perhaps for you, ένα ουζάκι. Όσο για μένα, μου κι αρέσει ένα ποτήρι ρετσίνα.